Teaching workshops, speaking and writing on farming are something I’ve been doing since 2008. I try to keep an updated list of workshops and speaking engagements here:
Upcoming workshops and talks:
- Nothing currently on the calendar, but there are a few spring and summer talks that should be scheduled soon.
Past workshops and talks:
- Mechanical Cultivation Workshop, Bend, OR, Thursday, March 21, 2019 – Weed management and mechanical cultivation fundamentals for both hand scale and tractor based systems.
- Cultivating Small Farm Success, Alexandria, LA, Thursday, March 14, 2019 – Planning for a Successful Market Farm
- Oregon Small Farms Conference, Corvallis, OR, Saturday, February 23, 2019 – I’ll be facilitating three workshops on compact farms with a number of experienced growers from around the country: Starting a Compact Farm, Cut Flowers on Compact Farms, and How Compact Farms Evolve.
- EcoFarm, Pacific Grove, CA, Friday, January 25, 2019 – Compact Farms: 15 Proven Plans for Market Farms on 10 Acres or Less – revisiting farm profiles from the book and what makes them work.
- Crop and Business Planning for the Small Farmer, Noti, OR, December 1, 2018 – Organized by Erik Dietz and the South Willamette Valley chapter of the National Young Farmers Coalition
- National Biodynamic Conference, Portland, OR, November 16, 2018 – Co-presenting with Alice Groh and Anthony Graham on the “Original Aims and Ideals of the CSA model”
- Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA, October 26, 2018 – Talk on planning for success on compact farms.
- Mother Earth News Fair, Albany, OR, August 4-5, 2018 – Two workshops: one on planning, and one on selling produce.
- Small Farm School, Clackamas Community College, July 12, 2018 – Two workshop panels: one on ergonomics and tool selection, and another on plastic tarps and mulch for small farms.
- SnoValley Tilth, Carnation, WA, March 4, 2018 – Day long workshop on Efficiency and Ergonomics on the Farm: Setting up tools, systems, and work spaces for speed, safety and happiness
- Oregon Small Farms Conference, Corvallis, OR, February 24, 2018 – Workshop on vegetable pack shed layout and ergonomics.
- Mother Earth News Fair, Belton, TX, February 17-18, 2018 – Two workshops on planning and selling produce.
- Eco Farm Conference, Monterey, CA, January 26, 2018 – Workshop with Jack Algiere from The Stone Barns Center on Tools and Equipment for Market Gardeners and Farmers
- Introduction to Between-row Cultivaton with Tractors, Aurora, OR, January 12, 2018 – Invite only workshop for farmers transitioning from hand and hoe cultivation only to tractor cultivation.
- Tilth Conference, Vancouver, WA, November 11, 2017 – Workshop on Planing a Compact Farm
- Beginning Farmer Workshop hosted by Purdue Diversified Farming and Food Systems, Bloomington, IN, November 5, 2017 – Workshop on Planning a Compact Farm covering the basics of all the pieces needed for a plan.
- Small Farm School, Oregon City, OR, September 21, 2017 – A two part workshop on Weed Management in Organic Vegetables and Tools and Strategies for Controlling Weeds co-taught with Chris Konieczka from Clackamas Community College
- NOFA Summer Conference, Amherst, MA, August 12, 2017 – Workshop on Planning a Compact Farm covering the basics of all the pieces needed for a plan.
- The Book Store, Lenox, MA, August 11, 2017 – Compact Farms book reading and signing
- Mother Earth News Fair, Albany, OR, August 5-6, 2017 – Two workshops on planning and selling produce.
- Slow Food Nations, Denver, CO, July 2017 – Compact Farms tour followed by a book reading and signing at The Tattered Cover
- Rogue Farm Corps, Jacksonville, OR, June 5, 2017 – Half day farm planning workshop at my good friend’s beautiful little winery, Wild Wines, in the Applegate Valley. Find details here.
- Mother Earth News Fair, Asheville, NC, May 6-7, 2017 – Two workshops on planning and selling produce.
- St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, PA, March 30, 2017 – I’ve been invited by the Environmental Science and Sustainability Studies program to speak on sustainable agriculture. This event is open to the public.
- Oregon Small Farms Conference, Corvallis, OR, February 18, 2017 – Organic Weed Management Strategies and Techniques
In addition to the workshops and talks listed above I am working on finding venues to host more workshops for market farmers and gardeners. If you’d like to have me do a workshop in your area please contact me for more details on topics and costs.
A list of past talks and workshops from 2016 going all the way back to 2009 is here.
Most of these workshops and talks have come about through generous invitations and queries from other farmers. If you’re interested in hosting a workshop or having me talk at your event please get in touch through the link in the footer and we can talk about topics and fees.
My book, Compact Farms: 15 Proven Plans for Market Farms on 5 Acres or Less from Storey Publishing is now available. You can order signed copies with the link below, or from Growing For Market’s online book store, as well as many others.