Teaching workshops, speaking and writing on farming are something I’ve been doing since 2008. I try to keep an updated list of workshops and speaking engagements here:
Upcoming workshops and talks:
- Rogue Farm Corps, Jacksonville, OR, June 5 – Half day farm planning workshop at my good friend’s beautiful little winery, Wild Wines, in the Applegate Valley. Find details here.
- Slow Food Nations, Denver, CO, July – Small farm tour – details to come…
- Mother Earth News Fair, Albany, OR, August 5-6 – Two workshops on planning and selling produce.
Past workshops and talks:
- Mother Earth News Fair, Asheville, NC, May 6-7 – Two workshops on planning and selling produce.
- St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, PA, March 30 – I’ve been invited by the Environmental Science and Sustainability Studies program to speak on sustainable agriculture. This event is open to the public.
- Oregon Small Farms Conference, Corvallis, OR, February 18, 2017 – Organic Weed Management Strategies and Techniques
In addition to the workshops and talks above in 2017 I am working on finding venues to host an all day workshop for market farms and gardens called Compact Farm Planning that expands on the planning concepts outlined in my new book from Storey Press, Compact Farms, and covers farm design and layout considerations, marketing, annual crop planning, long term rotation planning and labor projections. If you’d like to see this workshop offered in your area please contact me for more details.
A list of past talks and workshops going back to 2009 is here.
To find more of my writing check out my occasional blog at joshvolk.com/blog and I also recommend Growing For Market, where I have many archived articles and occasionally I contribute new ones. I am also excited to have a new book available in February 2017 – Compact Farms: 15 Proven Plans for Market Farms on 5 Acres or Less from Storey Press. You can order from Growing For Market’s online book store, as well as many others.