Teaching workshops, speaking and writing on farming are something I’ve been doing since 2008. I try to keep an updated list of workshops and speaking engagements here:
Upcoming workshops and talks:
- Mother Earth News Fair, Albany, OR, August 5-6 – Two workshops on planning and selling produce.
- The Book Store, Lenox, MA, August 11 – Compact Farms book reading and signing
- NOFA Summer Conference, August 12 – Workshop on Planning a Compact Farm covering the basics of all the pieces needed for a plan.
- Small Farm School, Oregon City, OR, September 21, A two part workshop on Weed Management in Organic Vegetables and Tools and Strategies for Controlling Weeds co-taught with Chris Konieczka from Clackamas Community College
Past workshops and talks:
- Slow Food Nations, Denver, CO, July – Compact Farms tour followed by a book reading and signing at The Tattered Cover
- Rogue Farm Corps, Jacksonville, OR, June 5 – Half day farm planning workshop at my good friend’s beautiful little winery, Wild Wines, in the Applegate Valley. Find details here.
- Mother Earth News Fair, Asheville, NC, May 6-7 – Two workshops on planning and selling produce.
- St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, PA, March 30 – I’ve been invited by the Environmental Science and Sustainability Studies program to speak on sustainable agriculture. This event is open to the public.
- Oregon Small Farms Conference, Corvallis, OR, February 18, 2017 – Organic Weed Management Strategies and Techniques
In addition to the workshops and talks above in 2017 I am working on finding venues to host an all day workshop for market farms and gardens called Compact Farm Planning that expands on the planning concepts outlined in my new book from Storey Press, Compact Farms, and covers farm design and layout considerations, marketing, annual crop planning, long term rotation planning and labor projections. If you’d like to see this workshop offered in your area please contact me for more details.
A list of past talks and workshops going back to 2009 is here.
To find more of my writing check out my occasional blog at joshvolk.com/blog and I also recommend Growing For Market, where I have many archived articles and occasionally I contribute new ones. I am also excited to have a new book available in February 2017 – Compact Farms: 15 Proven Plans for Market Farms on 5 Acres or Less from Storey Press. You can order from Growing For Market’s online book store, as well as many others.