Teaching workshops, speaking and writing on farming are something I’ve been doing since 2008. I try to keep an updated list of workshops and speaking engagements here:
Upcoming workshops and talks:
- Oregon Small Farms Conference, Corvallis, OR, February 24, 2018 – Workshop on vegetable pack shed layout and ergonomics.
- SnoValley Tilth, Carnation, WA, March 4, 2018 – Day long workshop on Efficiency and Ergonomics on the Farm: Setting up tools, systems, and work spaces for speed, safety and happiness
- Mother Earth News Fair, Albany, OR, August 4-5, 2018 – Two workshops: one on planning, and one on selling produce.
Past workshops and talks:
- Mother Earth News Fair, Belton, TX, February 17-18, 2018 – Two workshops on planning and selling produce.
- Eco Farm Conference, Monterey, CA, January 26, 2018 – Workshop with Jack Algiere from The Stone Barns Center on Tools and Equipment for Market Gardeners and Farmers
- Introduction to Between-row Cultivaton with Tractors, Aurora, OR, January 12, 2018 – Invite only workshop for farmers transitioning from hand and hoe cultivation only to tractor cultivation.
- Tilth Conference, Vancouver, WA, November 11, 2017 – Workshop on Planing a Compact Farm
- Beginning Farmer Workshop hosted by Purdue Diversified Farming and Food Systems, Bloomington, IN, November 5, 2017 – Workshop on Planning a Compact Farm covering the basics of all the pieces needed for a plan.
- Small Farm School, Oregon City, OR, September 21, 2017 – A two part workshop on Weed Management in Organic Vegetables and Tools and Strategies for Controlling Weeds co-taught with Chris Konieczka from Clackamas Community College
- NOFA Summer Conference, Amherst, MA, August 12, 2017 – Workshop on Planning a Compact Farm covering the basics of all the pieces needed for a plan.
- The Book Store, Lenox, MA, August 11, 2017 – Compact Farms book reading and signing
- Mother Earth News Fair, Albany, OR, August 5-6, 2017 – Two workshops on planning and selling produce.
- Slow Food Nations, Denver, CO, July 2017 – Compact Farms tour followed by a book reading and signing at The Tattered Cover
- Rogue Farm Corps, Jacksonville, OR, June 5, 2017 – Half day farm planning workshop at my good friend’s beautiful little winery, Wild Wines, in the Applegate Valley. Find details here.
- Mother Earth News Fair, Asheville, NC, May 6-7, 2017 – Two workshops on planning and selling produce.
- St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, PA, March 30, 2017 – I’ve been invited by the Environmental Science and Sustainability Studies program to speak on sustainable agriculture. This event is open to the public.
- Oregon Small Farms Conference, Corvallis, OR, February 18, 2017 – Organic Weed Management Strategies and Techniques
In addition to the workshops and talks listed above I am working on finding venues to host more workshops for market farmers and gardeners. If you’d like to have me do a workshop in your area please contact me for more details on topics and costs.
A list of past talks and workshops going back to 2009 is here.
My book, Compact Farms: 15 Proven Plans for Market Farms on 5 Acres or Less from Storey Publishing is now available. You can order signed copies with the link below, or from Growing For Market’s online book store, as well as many others.